First Constitutive Session of the Council and
First Expert Meeting of the
South-East European Virtual Climate Change Centre Consortium on
Short Range Numerical Weather Prediction (SEEVCCC-SRNWP)
24th March 2015 Republic Hydrometeorological Service of Serbia (RHMSS)
The Republic Hydrometeorological Service of Serbia (RHMSS) hosted the First Constitutive Session of the Council and the first Expert Meeting of the South-East European Virtual Climate Change Centre Consortium on Short Range Numerical Weather Prediction, at RHMSS premises in Belgrade, on 27 March 2015. The aim of the Constitutive Session and the Expert Meeting was to specify in detail the Consortium organization, its management, collaboration between the Consortium partners, and plans for further activities. The participants of the two events were the Directors and experts from the meteorological services of the Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the Republic of Montenegro, the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, the Republic of Albania and the Republic of Serbia.
The morning session started with the welcome speech of Director of RHMSS, Professor Jugoslav Nikolic, followed by the round-table introduction of the participants, and the adoption of the Meeting Agenda. The meeting approved the morning and the afternoon session Chairs: Vlado Spiridonov (Hydrometeorological Service of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) and Slobodan Nickovic (RHMSS), respectively.
Slobodan Nickovic presented the objectives of the EUMETNET – SRNWP and informed the participants about the current European SRNWP consortia. He described the system of the SRNWP coordination under the EUMETNET, and reported on the approaches to be followed by the new SEEVCCC-SRNWP Consortium based on the NMMB model.
Goran Pejanovic, RHMSS, presented a brief history of the SEEVCCC network which would serve as a starting point to extend the SEEVCCC network activities from climate to SRNWP activities in the region.
The following Consortium partners then reported on numerical weather prediction activities in their organizations:
- RHMSS (Bojan Kasic, Ana Mihalovic, Perisa Sunderic, Goran Pejanovic, Slobodan Nickovic, Aleksandra Krzic);
- Hydrometeorological Service of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Vlado Spiridonov);
- Hydrometeorological Service of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bosnia and Herzegovina (Ibrahim Hadzismailovic);
- Republic Hydrometeorological Service of the Republic of Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina (Igor Kovacic);
- Institute of Geoscience, Energy, Water and Environment of the Republic of Albania (Metodi Marku);
- Hydrometeorological Institute of the Republic of Montenegro (Angel Marcev).
In the afternoon session, Draft Consortium Agreement was presented by Danica Spasova, RHMSS, and afterwards discussed. The Agreement specified in details the Consortium organization, its management, collaboration between the Consortium partners, and plans for further activities.
After a fruitful and constructive discussion, the newly-constituted Council defined the decisions and actions that follow below.
Decisions and Actions:
- During the meeting it was stressed that it was necessary to formalize the SEEVCCC-SRNWP Consortium with a Consortium Agreement which would constitute terms and conditions of Consortium activities. In line with that, the Draft Consortium Agreement was generally supported, accepting among others that the Consortium will be governed by the Consortium Council. It was also agreed that within two week period all Consortium members should carefully consider the Draft and provide their comments. If no comments are received after the two week period, the Draft shall be adopted as the final document.
- All members were invited to nominate two representatives to serve as members of the Expert Team, with the aim to create annual plans with detailed lists of activities and deadlines. This task should be finalized within three weeks. The first draft of the annual plan is supposed to be finalized until the end of June. After the constitution, the Expert Team should delegate Chair with yearly rotation.
- It was agreed to establish Working Groups once the Consortium constituent bodies become fully operative.
- All members were invited to propose a new name, acronym and logo of the Consortium. Two proposals of Consortium name were given during the meeting (SEELAM - SEE Limited Area Modelling and SEECLAM - SEE Consortium for Limited Area Modelling), while the third was suggested before the conclusion of this Minutes (SEENOP - SEE Network for Operational weather Prediction). All members are welcome to give other proposals and within two weeks one of the proposed options shall be adopted by the majority of members.
- It was agreed to create the Consortium web page with all relevant documents and information. The proposal of Montenegro to host and maintain the web page was accepted. It was agreed to have the first version of the web page created by Mr Angel Marcev from Montenegro within a month, after which that version would be assessed by all Consortium members.
- It was agreed to issue Consortium Newsletter at least once a year.
- Prof. Zavisa Janjic, National Centers for Environmental Prediction – NCEP, USA, as NMMB creator has been appointed as Consortium Council honorary member.
RHMSS Director, Prof. Jugoslav Nikolic, delivered the closing words, thanked the participants for their constructive inputs, and concluded the meeting.